SIGN Me up
break free from cravings, mindset blocks & overwhelm + get emails with the latest tips to help get healthy & feel good again!
VIEW OUR SERVICES
Lollipop jujubes jelly cupcake caramels topping muffin.
type below and hit enter
Health & Wellness
I'm Amy Wadlington! I offer breakthrough coaching for ambitious women of faith to get more energy, get more clarity, stop cravings, & finally feel vibrant again!
Read more about me
Ahh, sleep. That ever-elusive state of bliss that we all strive for but for some, rarely achieve. If youre one of those women who cant seem to get enough restful sleep, dont worry – youre not alone! Below are fifteen tips that will help you drift off into a peaceful slumber, so you can wake up feeling energized and ready to take on the world!
1. Essential Oils: Essential oils such as lavender, chamomile, bergamot, peace and calming, and cedarwood are all known for their calming effects. Try adding a few drops to your pillow before bedtime or using a diffuser near your bed for an extra bit of relaxation and improved quality of sleep.
2. Sunlight First Thing in the Morning: Studies show that getting sunshine first thing in the morning helps to regulate your bodys natural circadian rhythm which leads to better sleep overall. It also helps to release melatonin at bedtime! Make sure to open the blinds or better yet, take a walk outside even for 10 minutes if possible.
3. Get Enough Movement Throughout the Day: Exercise is essential for good quality sleep – but it doesnt have to be intense exercise every day! Taking 10-30 minutes out of your day to do some light stretching or going for a short walk can make all the difference in terms of relaxation and restfulness at night.
4. Eat Nourishing Foods: Eating healthy, whole foods like fruits and vegetables helps provide our bodies with much-needed vitamins and minerals that keep us energized throughout the day – which means better quality sleep at night! Avoid sugary snacks or processed foods as much as possible (especially at night) in order to get optimum rest each night.
5. Dont Drink Caffeine After 3pm: Caffeine is a stimulant so it can really affect your ability to fall asleep if consumed too late in the day – try avoiding caffeine after 3 pm if possible in order to get quality rest at night without any interruptions from caffeine-induced jitters!
6. Stay Hydrated: Dehydration can lead to an interruption in your sleep cycle because when we become dehydrated our bodies send out signals telling us that something isnt right – so make sure you drink plenty of fluids throughout the day (but not too close to bedtime!)
7. Take Magnesium Before Bed: Magnesium is an essential mineral that helps regulate our bodys melatonin levels (the hormone responsible for making us feel sleepy) so taking it before bed time can help you drift off into dreamland faster and with less effort required on your part!
8. Use CBD Oil Before Bedtime: CBD oil has been shown to help relax our bodies and minds by regulating serotonin levels, thus helping us fall asleep faster and stay asleep longer throughout the night. Try adding some CBD oil into your nighttime routine for optimal results!
9. Establish a bedtime routine that doesn’t include electronics. I know this one can be tough to do but the blue lights that are illuminated from our screens (phones, tablets, computers, and TVs) give our brains a signal that it’s light outside and not bedtime. About an hour before bed, try to choose a relaxing activity such as taking a bath in Epsom salts and essential oils, reading a book, journaling, or just visiting with your family.
10 Keep the temperature below 65. In the winter I keep my furnace set to 60 at night to keep the furnace from running at all. I live in Colorado, so I don’t have an AC for the summer, but I keep the windows open and the fan blowing to keep my bedroom cool. Cooler temps will help you get better sleep.
11 Braindump! Keep a notebook next to your bed and for 10 minutes before laying down, write down everything you need to remember for the next day and things that might otherwise keep you awake thinking about.
12 Cover your sleep and your dreams in prayer and play worship music softly and set a sleep timer on the music to shut off after 30 minutes. My sleep prayer usually goes something like this,
“Thank you Jesus for this day. Thank you for my family, our health, our home, and this bed that I am sleeping in tonight. I turn away from worry, fear, jealousy (or anything else you can think of that may be hindering your sleep) and turn toward you. Father, I ask you to help me to forgive ______ for ______. I choose forgiveness because you chose to forgive me. Lord, I ask you to send angels to surround my home as we sleep tonight. I cover my sleep, my dreams, and my family’s sleep and dreams with the Blood of Jesus. No weapon formed against us shall prosper. I submit and concentrate my sleep, my senses, my thoughts, my emotions, and my dreams unto the Lordship of Jesus Christ. In Jesus’ Name, I pray, Amen.”
13. Stick to a schedule. I admit this is probably the toughest one for me. I love to stay up late and I love to sleep late in the mornings. My weekends have historically been the times when I allow myself the freedom to do what I enjoy the most – however, I have noticed that when I go to bed at the same time and get up at the same time seven days a week, I sleep better overall.
14. Try seeing a chiropractor. I am not a chrio expert and I don’t know why chiropractic care works but I know that it does. I started seeing a chiropractor for my knee pain last spring and started sleeping better. If you need sleep, it’s worth a try!
15. Try sleep supplements such as melatonin. It’s not a good idea to use sleep supplements for long term but sometimes they help!
If these don’t help – be sure to check with your doctor or a sleep specialist to rule out sleep disorders, such as sleep apnea or other root causes of sleep disturbances.
Side note: If you are a parent with young children who still don’t sleep through the night and they are the reason you aren’t sleeping well, I want to encourage you with this: these tips help with kids’ sleep, as well! Also, IT GETS BETTER. I promise. It may not feel like there’s an end to the sleepless nights right now, but there is an end. There is grace to cover you and get you through the sleepless years. It may not feel like there is, but there is.
Here is a list of all of the oils and supplements we use in my family to help with rest. Please reach out to me if you have any questions. I am here to help.
Trying out different combinations of these tips might be just what you need for sweet dreams tonight! Remember, everyone has different needs when it comes to sleeping well, so don’t be afraid to experiment until you find what works best for you – my prayer is that this helps you to finally get the rest that you need.
Hi, Im Amy! I am a certified holistic life and health coach. I am PASSIONATE about helping driven women just like you, go from surviving to thriving I help them get more energy, stop cravings, and feel good again, so they can thrive in ALL aspects of their life and live the abundant life they were created to live!
I learned most of what I know through living life. I am trauma-informed, have three autoimmunities (Hashimotos, Graves, and celiac), and Epstein Barr virus, and I have learned that dieting doesnt work changing our thoughts about dieting does.
I know what has helped my health the most and my greatest desire is for others to find the same freedoms I have found in both health and life. It is my goal to partner with God to help women not only walk in wellness but to live in their identity, find their purpose, to walk in the calling of who God has created them to be, and help them heal from the inside out.
If you have been wanting all of this plus more energy, control over your life and health, and the power to make good healthy choices, and just want to feel good again so you can enjoy life, we need to talk!
Join my free Facebook Community where I share tips, inspiration, and more about my personal journey to health and healing!
For tips and updates follow me on Insta @amywadlington
Most days you can find me in a t-shirt and jeans working at my dining room table sipping on a warm cup of tea ... Read my full story
Get on the waitlist!
Coming Soon! The Vibrant Woman Hybrid Group Coaching Program